June 2019 meetup
MicroPython on SAMD
- Damien has raised PR #4863
- A first-cut at MicroPython on SAMD
- The micro family used in many Adafruit boards
- Not a lot of features, yet
- REPL over USB serial
- SAMD 21 and 51 (M0 and M4)
- Thomas McKahan has started a campaign for his Obsidian ESP32
- ESP32 in a Raspberry Pi form factor
- WROOM-B: 16MB Flash, 8MB RAM
- Use RPi ‘Hats’
- Available on Crowd Supply
- $US35 + SH
- Jos Velinden released micropython-stubber
- A set of tools, libraries and configuration to improve VS Code
- For MicroPython use
- Stubs out MicroPython specific libraries, tidies up pylint, provides intellisense
- hackaBLE is a small nRF52832 dev board
- Breadboard or castellate
- Requires a programming probe
- Can run Micro or Circuit Python
- From Electronut Labs
- Who used similar tech for Papyr
- Available on Tindie for US$17
Fomu in the wild
- Starting to see Fomu’s in the wild…
- …like this one running MicroPython on a RISC-V softcore!
- What’s a Fomu?
- A Lattice FPGA running in a Tomu form factor
- What’s Tomu?
- A microcontroller that fits inside a USB port
- The Giant Board is a Linux-capable FeatherWing
- SAMA5D2 Cortex-A5 500MHz
- 128MB RAM, micro SD
- Pick one up from Crowd Supply for US$50-80
- TTGO have released an ESP32-powered watch
- Decent specs
- 16MB flash, 8MB PSRAM
- Accelerometer, RTC clock
- 240x240 touchscreen
- Micro SD, battery and charge circuit
ESP32 MicroPython Webcam
- Tsaarni: MicroPython with OV2640 support
- C module for camera support
- MicroPython to manage the images
- <40 lines of MicroPython
- Web server with camera
- The FemtoBeacon is a tiny ESP32 based board
- Can’t overstate how small it is!
- 2MB Flash, 500KB RAM
- A PICO-D4 version is coming too…
- Available on Tindie, US$30
PyCon AU 2019
- There are a few MicroPython talks coming up in PyCon AU!
- Me: “Extending MicroPython: Using C for Good!”
- A Deep Dive (70 min) - scary!
- Michal Galka: “MicroPython Gotchas”
- Jack Reichelt: “What makes Micro:bits different?”
- Anthony Joseph: “Using python-programmed microcontrollers to build comedy props”
Roadmap for Next Release
- Roadmap for next release (v1.11->v2.0?)
- What’s next for MicroPython?
- Successful campain!
- Seon to give a quick overview…
Written on June 26, 2019